Sunday, January 28, 2007

Let me tell you a little story that just popped in my head this weekend.

It was my 11th birthday, I was not very excited for it. My mom had made me invite a bunch of girls that I was not friends with. I think it was a slightly misguided attempt at making me become more popular. Well, all that did was make me throw a truly phenomenal hissy fit at my party. This is especially embarrassing, since all these girls had really and truly tried to make a go at having fun at my party. I'd gotten nice presents, and instead of being grateful I ran off to the upstairs to cry my eyes out. It's my party, I can cry if I want to.

I was sitting on the edge of the tub in the bathroom when someone knocked on the door and came in. One of the girls came in and sat down next to me. I don't really remember what she said to me, but I know that she was being incredibly kind. Someone had given me a magic 8 ball as a gift, and she had brought it with her and we played at making predictions. She made me laugh, made me stop crying and got me to come back to the party and start having fun. Sadly, the rest of the evening was slightly ruined by the weather... as it has pretty much always snowed on my birthday it was no surprise... but it was a particularly heinous snow storm which stopped us from completing the festivities at Round Table Pizza.

I've remembered that kindness all through the years, even though I never made any overtures towards friendship with that girl after that. She had really tried to reach out to me, and I was too self conscious to allow it to happen. But I always appreciated it.

I have been lucky enough to reconnect with this girl in the past year. She now works with me and we've been slowly getting to know each other. I think she is a real treasure and would be very proud and honored to be her friend. I think she is kind, and funny. And in my new founded spirit of gratitude, I wanted to thank her for this kindness as I come up on another birthday (17 years later).

Thank you Katie.

4 comments:

Kate Rosenberg said...

Love this story. Your 11 yr. old behavior reminds me of my behavior all through my 20's. Awesome! But the story of the girl and the 8-ball is sweet and charming. Thank her on behalf of all girls who pout at their own parties!

Savascha said...

Haha, that doesn't mean that I don't still have my totally unwarranted melt downs. :)

I'm finding more and more that she's a sweet and charming person. I wish I just hadn't come to this realization so late. But oh well, better late than never, right? I hope.

katie said...

Thanks for the lovely story. It brought a tear to my eye! Glad we have reconnected.

Savascha said...

I am very glad too! It's so nice to have good friends around. Especially if they are good peoples too. :)