Sunday, January 14, 2007

Guilty pleasures from the sickbed of Mindy:

Watching old favorite movies and allowing myself to be overcome by emotion. A Room with a View, when George kisses Lucy on the hillside in Florence? Where was he when I was there? I was too busy getting my heart broken by the assistant director of the boys choir from Sydney, Australia... Of course I can't remember his name, but that isn't the point.

Sleeping in my new comfy bed with my nice new sheets and comforter. Although I did get to puppysit my brothers dog and that always adds strain on the dynamic of my little family. Burns gets really protective of him, especially since Sammy and Yeti fight all the time. Burns and Yeti are best friends, unless Sammy is here. Then it's all barking and hissing. Meanwhile poor Rufus gets molested by Sammy repeatedly, I had to pull him off poor Roo's back three times today alone! And then it takes a few days for everyone to find their equilibrim again. It doesn't help that I managed to forget I'd let the puppies outside and they were out in the freezing cold for a half hour while I was dozing, luckily they yipped loud enough for the asshole neighbor to notice and let them in the laundry room, which woke me up... I thought they were behaving a little too well.

I'm rereading trashy books from my youth, nothing is more healing to me than reading Anne McCaffrey... let's not talk about it, I don't want to cheapen the moment. Especially since Kelly was so kind to give me five books over Christmas that I haven't finished...

Ordering pizza and not feeling too guilty about it. I needed to get soda for my sore throat somehow, and I'm not about to walk to the Indian-mart in freezing temperatures, no ma'am or sir. I'm going to make some college student do the work for me.

Having a decent excuse for not working on either of the prints I have coming due soon. I need to finish a lino carving in the next week or so, and start playing with my new watercolor technique idea for the gallery submissions. But, it seems like a lot of work, especially since I woke up to a house full of snotty tissue that had been lovingly pulled from the trash and distributed by my adoring pets. That Yeti, he's a natural born dumpster diver. If it weren't for his good looks, that hobo would be out on the street...

Last but not least. Heat. I'm going to have the biggest gas bill just from the past two days alone, hot baths and the heater on full blast... but it is such a nice change of pace from the beginning of winter. And now that I have the landlord finally paying half of the gas (since he attached an appliance illegally to my gas line, it's the least he can do) I finally feel like actually turning the heat up for a while.

Alright, it's time to go climb back into bed, read my trashy book and let my now Sammy deprived pets calm down.

xo-M

1 comment:

Kate Rosenberg said...

Oh, poor thing. We are leading parallel lives, though. I have been carrying around a head o' snot for a few days and want to chop my head off. Last night (with the 875th dream of getting married naked) was, I hope, the climax of this damn cold. Dogs are no damn help when you're sick! Let's play soon, yes?
xoxox
k