Thursday, January 25, 2007

I have received an invitation to my 10 year school reunion. They created a website for the gathering, and I keep watching it in morbid fascination. I didn't actually graduate from Skyline, I only spent my sophomore year there, and the first two months of my junior year before I went screaming into the warm embrace of Realms of Inquiry (yeah, my hippie high school). To be technical, I graduated through night school, since my senior year consisted of a 1/2 a credit of English... 6 hours of classes and I graduated...

But I digress, to go or not to go. I am flip flopping like a gasping fish on this. While I'm intrigued to see how my classmates turned out, and I have known quite a few of them since elementary school, I'm also completely horrified by the idea of them seeing me. I was by no means popular, and in fact a little bit, well.... mocked and terrorized by some of the jocks. Typical high school experience, though, I'm none too affected by it any more. But most of my friends were older students, a year or two older than me.

But mostly, 10 years is a long time, and it seems to have gone by rather quickly. And I'm looking at these photos thinking, they all look so old! I look so old. And since I'm not married and don't have 2-4 children like the majority of them, I feel even more detached from the whole thing.

Dear God.

4 comments:

pea in a pod said...

But if you're "looking for excitement and adventure" you could join the planning committee! You know you want to...

Anonymous said...

My 10 year is in 2 years, and when my 5 year rolled around, I shrugged it off as a simple embarrasment I really did not want to deal with. I figured I'd just hit the 10 year instead: Life would have worked itself out by then. Well, I'm getting closer and frankly I'm starting to think "Maybe the 20 year reunion..."

Savascha said...

Planning committee? Have more terrible words ever been uttered?

Savascha said...

Yeah, I say hold out till you're rich and famous. That's the best way to do it. That was my plan. But.... I'll have to settle for somewhat well known and barely above the poverty line! :O